How 3D Assessments Can Help Provide
Solutions for Physicians
©2006 by 3D Assessments. All Rights Reserved
Who Is 3D?
- Authors of the BBHI 2 and BHI 2 tests
- Provider of biopsychosocial solutions with services that complement the BBHI 2 test results
What is the BBHI 2 (Brief Battery for Health Improvement 2) Test?
- An 8-10 minute long patient-administered biopsychosocial questionnaire designed for the assessment of patients with chronic pain
- Helps to measure levels of pain and other psychological factors commonly associated with chronic pain patients
- The test produces a comprehensive, multi-page report
- The test is exclusively published and sold by Pearson Assessments, one of the largest publishers of psychological tests in the world
How can the BBHI 2 test results help physicians?
- Quickly gather important information on patients
- Document surgical readiness or need for further psych evaluation
- Meet insurance authorization requirements
- Analyze treatment success rates
How is the BBHI 2 test administered and scored?
- The BBHI 2 test can be administered on a hand-held computer called the PAD (Patient Assessment Device)
- The test is scored within moments after the PAD is set on the docking station
- There is also a paper/pencil administration and fax-in scoring option available upon request (a free fax-in form is provided in the 3D information package)
- The use of the PAD eliminates nearly all data entry time and costs (the patients do the work)
- This option does not interrupt patient flow since the patient can take the test in the waiting area prior to seeing the physician
- The BBHI 2 test can help address patient selection issues, insurance authorization requirements, and upcoming “fee for performance” requirements
- Can a physician administer the BBHI 2 test?
- Yes, physicians meet the qualification criteria for the BBHI 2 test
- The main areas the BBHI 2 assesses are pain, functioning, depression, anxiety and illness symptoms this is what pain physicians treat every day
- Basic package: $132/month to lease the PAD, software and server storage, plus BBHI 2 assessment cost (billed separately by Pearson Assessments)
- Reimbursement (Typical Medicare):
- $26 96103: Computer administration billing code (flat fee, appropriate for when a patient is taking a test unassisted, scoring is not billable)
- $46 96101, -52: Interpretation and reporting billing code, with reduced service modifier. This is used when less than 30 minutes time is spent by the MD considering the BBHI 2 results in the context of other information, interpreting those results and reporting them. (If more than 30 minutes is spent then the typical reimbursement rate is $92)
- $72 When both are billed (codes are not mutually exclusive)
- Consult with your coding expert and each carrier on specific policies, as these may vary
Is the BBHI 2 test sufficient for psychologically clearing a patient?
- We know of no set standards set by any insurer establishing what constitutes an adequate pre-surgical psychological assessment
- At this point in time, most insurers have found the BBHI 2 test to be acceptable
What documentation do you need for reimbursement?
- Follow the guidelines set forth by the specific payer
- We recommend that you document, at a minimum:
- Medical necessity of why the test was given
- This might be established if the referring physician states suspicion of mental illness or if a patient exhibits symptoms which result in a suspicion of mental illness, such as depression or anxiety.
- E.g.: The patient was administered a BBHI 2 test because the patient showed indications of depression, anxiety or anger
- ICD-9-CM Diagnosis codes can be used to support medical necessity. An example of an ICD-9 code is “307.89 Pain disorder”
- How the test was given
- The patient was administered the BBHI 2 test on a computer (the PAD)
- Time spent integrating the BBHI 2 test results with other information and writing a comprehensive report based on the integrated data. Other information might include behavioral and prior historical information including but not limited to educational, medical and psychological records and/or tests. Include findings and recommendations:
- The patient was depressed, anxious, etc.
- The patient was prescribed an antidepressant medication, etc.
Will physicians get reimbursed every time for the BBHI 2?
- Probably not. There are no procedures or services that are guaranteed 100% reimbursement
- However, to date, the great majority of physicians have been very successful at being reimbursed
- We recommend consulting with your coding expert and each carrier on specific policies, payment and documentation guidelines, as these may vary
To initiate ordering the BBHI 2 test or services provided by 3D:
- Contact 3D Assessments toll free at 1-877-433-5900 or download the order forms.
- The physician’s office needs to complete and sign two brief forms and fax the forms to 3D Assessments at 877-433-5901.
- 30 day free trial allows time to test for reimbursement and establish proper documentation
“BHI” and “BBHI” are trademarks of NCS Pearson, Inc.